No matter what the weather is, a nice glass of wine combined with delectable appetizers would be wonderful! With summer in full flow, many people are taking advantage of the beautiful weather by grilling and relaxing on their patios or garden.
Pairing a refreshing glass of wine with a delicious dish of food can be the combination that satisfy your taste buds! But how do you pair it perfectly? We have the ultimate guide for you, with a few delectable dishes to try! (Make sure to follow the below guide when preparing the food!)
All about Food and Wine Pairing
Yes, wine goes well with every meal, but for an incredible experience, pair specific dishes with specific wines. Consider this your wine pairing guide. In case you’ve never thought of tasty wine pairings here are a few suggestions as per The Wine Cellar Group:Chardonnay and Salmon (or fish and light meat)
- Cabernet and Red Meat
- Pinot Noir and Earthy Flavors (mushroom dishes and hearty pizzas)
- Pinot Grigio and Seafood
- Sauvignon Blanc and Tart Flavors
- Rosé and Cheesy Dishes
- Sparkling and Salty Flavors
- Riesling and Sweet, Spicy Flavors
- Syrah and Spiced Dishes
- Zinfandel and Rich Plates (mousses, terrines, pâtés)
Meal suggestions to enjoy with your favorite wine during summer
Total time: 30 min
Try it out with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc or an Albariño.
For the salad:
- 2 bunches of watercress
- 1 can of mandarin oranges drained
- ½ small red onion chopped small or sliced thinly
- ½ cup almond slivers toasted
For the dressing
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- Saltto taste
- Cracked black pepperto taste
For the salad
- Remove the watercress leaves from their stalks. (This takes the most amount of time. If you're running short on time, just remove the larger stems and leave the leaves attached to the smaller stalks.)
- Drain the mandarin oranges.
- Place the almond slivers on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes. They go from toasty to burned quickly, so keep an eye out and set a timer. This can also be done in advance.
- Mince your red onion.
- Combine all watercress, almonds, and red onion into a serving dish. Mix and arrange.
For the dressing:
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, yogurt, honey, salt, pepper, mustard, and poppy seeds in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly until fully integrated.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for one week.
Total time: 35 min – Servings: 6 people
Try it out with either a Viognier or a bubbly Champagne
- 12 button or baby Portobello Mushrooms(or 6 large Portobello Mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can white or pink crab meatdrained
- 1 Scallion sliced
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- Dash of salt
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Remove the stems from your mushrooms.
- Toss mushrooms in olive oil. Set upside down on the baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- In a small sauté pan, combine 1 tsp of butter, your minced garlic clove, and your bread crumbs. Sauté over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until the fat has been absorbed and the garlic and crumbs are golden and aromatic.
- In a bowl, combine the canned (and drained) crab meat, softened cream cheese, minced garlic, sliced scallions, grated cheddar, bread crumbs, tarragon, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture into each mushroom, making sure to fill the cavity. For button or baby bella mushrooms, use about 3 tbsp per mushroom. Larger mushrooms can take up to 1/4 cup each. It's okay if the topping is heaped up on top!
- Top with a bit of extra grated cheddar and bread crumbs.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden and crispy.
Total time: 1 hour 30 min - Serves: 16 pinwheels
- 4 - 10 inch tortillas tomato flavour
- 2 cups chicken (2 chicken breasts), finely chopped or shredded * you can substitute rotisserie chicken or canned chicken breast
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- ¾ cup red onion (1 medium red onion)finely chopped
- 8 tablespoon light cream cheese * I use the spreadable (or substitute non fat cream cheese)
- Grill chicken breasts and chop finely or shred.
- Mix onion, chicken and red pepper together.
- Spread 2 tbsps light cream cheese over each tortilla, as you would jam. Then spread a layer of the mixture on each tortilla. Repeat until mixture has been used.
- Roll tortilla in half. Then gently pull back to the edge and start rolling from there. Continue rolling gently until you reach the edge.
- Add more cream cheese for it to stick together.
- Wrap in a Saran Wrap and place in fridge for an hour.
- Cut off the ends (with no filling)
- Finally, slice into 3/4 and serve.
Total time: 15 min - Serves: 12
- 1 cucumber (big) sliced
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Optional fresh dill for garnish
Slice the English cucumber into rounds and put on a sheet of paper towel. Cover with another sheet of paper towel and press down with your hands to help absorb the moisture from the top. Leave the cucumbers on a paper towel for 5 minutes.
Transfer the cucumber slices to a serving platter and discard the paper towels.
Cut the smoked salmon into pieces that are approximately sized like cucumber slices (using scissors to cut salmon makes it super easy).
Spread the cucumber slices with cream cheese and top with smoked salmon slices.
Add a spig of fresh dill on top of each cucumber slice (if desired).